Agile and the Emperor’s New Clothes
- Sprint 1: “Designer, just do something, anything, right now so we can get some feedback—we can always change it later.”
- Sprint 2: “Designer, sorry, we can’t make changes anymore—that would affect the back end.”
- Sprint 3: “Oh, we can’t do that because of lack of resources. You have to stick with your current design. Of course, you can always tack on a new visual design.”
What About RITE?
The RIDE Alternative
- respecting the best practices of UCD/HCI/design; and
- encouraging the development and evaluation of multiple design concepts at each stage.
- Understanding the product context
- UX Planning—establishing cross-disciplinary collaboration
- Defining UX goals
- Rapidly generating and evaluating multiple design concepts
- Holistic iteration.